Morgan Aste, also known as ‘The Big Rock’, is an IFBB professional bodybuilder hailing from Clermont-Ferrand, France.
Throughout the duration of his career, he has become renowned for having the ability to switch between strongman and bodybuilding with ease.
Having an excellent physique from an early age, allowed him to gain size rapidly to become one of the biggest bodybuilders in the sport today.
|Full Name: Morgan Aste|
|295 - 310lbs (133.8kg - 140.6kg)||6'3" (190.5cm)||24.4"||38|
|Date of Birth||Nationality||Profession|
|August 26, 1983||French||Bodybuilder, Powerlifter, Strongman|
|The Big Rock||2000, 2010|
|Weight||295 - 310lbs (133.8kg - 140.6kg)|
|Date of Birth||August 26, 1983|
|Profession||Bodybuilder, Powerlifter, Strongman|
|Alias||The Big Rock|
- 2014 IFBB French Championships – 1st place in all categories.
- 2014 Arnold Amateur Europe – 9th place
- 2011 IFBB World Championship – 14th place in +100kg category
- 2010 Slovak Grand Prix -2nd place in +90kg category
- 2008 IFBB European Championship – 9th place in +100kg category
- 2006 Championship of the World IFBB – 2nd place in +100kg category
- 2006 Grand Prix Weider – 5th place in +90kg category
- 2005 Grand Prix of Slovakia – 4th place in +90kg category
- 2004 IFBB Junior French Championship 2nd place in +75kg category
- 2004 Semi Finals France IFBB Junior 1st place in +75kg category
- 2013 Strongman Competition – 1st place finish to become the strongest man in France.
- 2013 Grand Prix du Forez – 1st place in +105kg category
- 2013 Grand Prix de Provence – 1st place in +105kg category
- 2013 Grand Prix des Pyrenees – 1st place in +105kg category
- 2012 Strongest Man in France – 2nd place
- 2012 Grand Prix de Provence – 1st place
- 2012 Grand Prix des Pyrenees – 2nd place
- 2010 Strongest Man in France – 1st place
Morgan Aste was born on the 26th August 1983 to Roberto and Annie Aste in Clermont-Ferrand in central France.
Throughout his childhood years, he spent time living in both Victe-Le-Comte and Lissac and became interested in competitive sport from a young age.
Interest in Bodybuilding
Aste became involved in various sports including football, handball, judo, boxing and Muay Thai as a child.
This allowed him to acquire an excellent physique, causing him to be consistently asked if he lifted weights.
Aste soon realised that his excellent physique could be taken to the next level, so he began weightlifting at the age of 16.
It didn’t take long for him to acquire a considerable amount of size, and by the age of 20 he weighed a hefty 195lbs.
Morgan Aste in his earlier days.
Turning to the Professional Stage
Aste took his bodybuilding career the the next level in 2000 having gained some serious size in his early days of weight training.
He began to compete competitively at amateur level, and continued to do so throughout his 20s.
After taking part in several amateur level competitions, Aste made the decision to move into Strongman, emphasizing his immense capability of making the switch to other sports.
By 2010, he had earned himself a first placed finish to become the strongest man in France, and added further to his list of honours in 2013 where he again won the same title.
After competing in both Strongman and Bodybuilding events in his career so far, Aste decided in 2014 that it was his wish to make his mark on the American bodybuilding scene.
He had become succesful on home turf as well as in other countries across Europe however now wishes to focus on bodybuilding.
He is currently awaiting his pro card and has made it his ultimate ambition to become succesful on the Mr Olympia stage, eager to follow in the footsteps of his idols.
When starting out in bodybuilding, Aste began to train with trainer René Même, and continues to do so to this day.
Switching between bodybuilding and strongman, his training differs depending on which sport Aste is competing in.
He follows a training plan set out by his trainer, with two training days followed by a rest day in which two muscle groups are worked.
His training alternates between high intensity and heavy sets for each muscle group which changes weekly.
When training for a strongman competition, Aste generally follows the routine below:
- Atlas Stone Carry – 15 carries ad 330 lbs
- Farmer’s Carry – 20 metres at 793 lbs
- Tyre Flip – 10 flips at 881 lbs
Aste is renowned for his huge arms, and generally follows the below routine in order to maintain :
- EZ-bar Cable Pushdown | SETS: 4 | REPS: 12
- One-arm Reverse-grip Pushdown | SETS: 4 | REPS: 8
- Smith Machine Close-grip Bench Press | SETS: 5 | REPS: 12, 10, 8, 6, 6*
- Standing Straight-bar Curl | SETS: 4 | REPS: 10, 10, 8, 8*
- Incline Dumbbell Curl | SETS: 2 | REPS: 12
- Incline Dumbbell Hammer Curl | SETS: 2 | REPS: 12
- Alternating Dumbbell Curl | SETS: 2 | REPS: 12
- Machine Preacher Curl | SETS: 2 | REPS: 8
- Standing Two-arm Dumbbell Curl | SETS: 3 | REPS: 12
Morgan Aste follows a daily diet which consists of seven meals in total for his off season diet. Which enables him to continually add lean muscle mass.
His meals contain a balance of protein, complex carbs and healthy fats along with a piece of fruit with most of his meals.
The meals which form his daily diet are listed below:
Meal 1: 5 whole eggs, 5 egg whites
2 slices of whole-wheat bread or oatmeal
1 cup of fresh fruit
Meal 2: 200 grams of meat (chicken, steak) or fish
200 grams of carbs (rice or potatoes)
Piece of fruit
Meal 3: 450 grams of meat or fish
300 to 500 grams of carbs
Green salad or mixed vegetables with olive oil
Piece of fruit
Meal 4: Whey protein shake (75 grams)
Meal 5: Applesauce, gingerbread or mashed potatoes
BCAA + ZMA + Protein Shake
Meal 6: 450 grams of meat or fish
500-700 grams of carbs
Meal 7: Whey protein shake (60 grams) 300 grams of nonfat cottage cheese
Idols and Influences
Becoming involved in sports from a young age, Aste was able to build a physique that meant bodybuilding would come naturally to him after being asked regularly if he lifts weights.
Upon commencing a career in bodybuilding, Morgan Aste’s ambition was to gain as much size as possible.
Aste states: “Arnold Schwarzenegger, because he is a legend, and for me, Ronnie Coleman is one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time”.
What we can learn from Morgan Aste
Given his athletic physique, he was able to add serious mass from an early age.
And by taking influence from some of the bodybuilding greats, Aste has come a long way since entering the sport.
Throughout his career he has made known his ability to switch between sports and prove that bodybuilders are capable of lifting extremely heavy weights.
He now looks to prove himself on the bodybuilding stage in America, aiming to reach his ultimate goal of competing in Mr Olympia.
Share this article :