Men's Physique Competitor, Brand Ambassador, Personal Trainer
Coty Hart is an American bodybuilder, personal trainer, and brand ambassador from Upper Marlboro, Maryland. He became involved in fitness after a series of tragic events unfolded, including the deaths of some of his close relatives.
One of the main reasons Coty’s relatives passed away was due to an unhealthy lifestyle. “I wish I knew then, what I now know sooner, because maybe they could still be here,” said Coty.
Not wanting to suffer the same fate as his relatives. Coty began training in the gym and reading books on healthy nutrition. Throughout the years, his passion for fitness developed further to become an accomplished Men’s Physique competitor.
By 2017, Coty collected a number of bodybuilding trophies. Including the 2016 NPC Junior Nationals champion title, which saw him enter the IFBB Professional circuit. This is his story:
Full Name: Coty Hart Weight Height Nationality Profession 205 - 215lbs (88.5 - 93.0kg) 6' (183cm) American Men's Physique Competitor, Brand Ambassador, Personal Trainer Era 2010 Weight 205 - 215lbs (88.5 - 93.0kg) Height 6' (183cm) Nationality American Profession Men's Physique Competitor, Brand Ambassador, Personal Trainer Era 2010
- Maryland State/East Coast Classic, NPC, Men’s Novice Heavyweight, 7th place
- Maryland State/East Coast Classic, NPC, Men’s Maryland Heavyweight, 6th place
- Shawn Ray Classic, NPC, Men’s Light Heavyweight, 6th place
- Shawn Ray Classic, NPC, Men’s Novice Heavyweight, 2nd place
- Capitol Grand Prix, NPC, Men’s Physique Class B, 1st place
- Capitol Grand Prix, NPC, Men’s Novice Heavyweight, 2nd place
- Northern USA Championships, NPC, Men’s Physique Class C, 1st place
- Capitol Grand Prix, NPC, Men’s Light Heavyweight, 3rd place
- National Championships, NPC, Men’s Physique Class E, 3rd place
- 2015 NPC Capitol Grand Prix, NPC, Men’s Physique Novice, 1st place
- Junior Nationals, NPC, Men’s Physique Class E, 1st place
- Baltimore Classic, IFBB, Men’s Physique, 1st
- Baltimore Grand Prix and Fitness Expo, IFBB Pro Men’s Physique, 15th place
- Mr. Olympia, IFBB Men’s Physique, 16th place
- World Instructor Training School (W.I.T.S.) Certified Personal Trainer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology and Criminal Justice
“Life trials is a test, a test of your character and strength to expose soft/weak aspects of your character and they will show how weak you really are if you just quit and drown in your sorrows as if life stops with each difficult moment.
You must have the fortitude and have faith as well as choose to be happy and choose to be positive no matter what.”
Tough Start to Fitness
Coty Hart is originally from Hampton, VA, where he was born and raised. He became involved in fitness when he was still a child. Unfortunately, not for the reasons people usually get into fitness, but because circumstances forced him to do so.
Here’s Coty explaining why he became involved in fitness at such an early age;” I lost a lot of close relatives to similar sicknesses, illnesses that could have been prevented if they had known better. It made me feel as though, I lost these loved ones due to their lack of knowledge on diet and exercise.”
Even as a child, Coty realized what impact a good diet and lifestyle can have on the human body. As a result, he started exercising with weights and reading books on healthy foods, so that he wouldn’t suffer from health problems like his relatives.
Learning Advanced Training and Dieting
As the years went by, Coty learned more and more about training and nutrition. He then used that knowledge to advance his training in the gym – beginning to practice advanced exercises, supersets, and high-intensity cardio.
This eventually saw Coty sculpt an immaculate physique. While most of his peers were occupied doing other things, Coty was training day in and day out, as well as watching his diet and overall health.
Start to Competitions
The discipline Coty developed as a teenager allowed him to further his progress in fitness, and eventually, become a bodybuilding competitor.
He first began competing in amateur shows somewhere around 2003. However, it wasn’t until 2014, when he began competing regularly, on bigger bodybuilding stages.
As Coty had an aesthetic and proportional physique, he decided to stick to Men’s Physique category, aiming to make a name for himself there.
His first major bodybuilding show was the NPC Maryland State East Coast Classic competition. On that day, Coty walked out with a 6th place in his weight category.
Earning a Pro Card
Not long after, Coty took his first victory, at the Capitol Grand Prix. After this, he went on to earn one more title the same year – the Northern USA Championships.
But the best was yet to come for Coty. One year later, in 2016, he brought his best version to the Junior Nationals bodybuilding stage; taking home 1st place, as well as a Pro bodybuilding card.
In 2017, Coty qualified to enter the Men’s Physique Mr. Olympia. In September 2017, he took part in the contest and finished in 16th place.
One of Coty’s goals for the future is to become a major influence in the online bodybuilding and fitness community. Another dream is to win the prestigious Men’s Physique Mr. Olympia title one day.
“A workout program and or exercise, as well as healthy eating, are paramount when it comes to a healthy lifestyle. you can’t have one without the other.”
Even though Coty has trained for years in the gym, he never stops mastering his skills and knowledge when it comes to training.
He says, that in order to be the best on the stage, he has to learn more each year on training, as well as nutrition.
This also means that Coty never trains the same way. He always changes something in his workouts – be it the number of repetitions, the exercises he does, or his overall workout routine.
Following these principles has allowed Coty to keep progressing in both his physique, and results on the bodybuilding stage.
Coty Hart’s Exercises For Chest
These are some of Coty’s top exercises for building a huge and ripped chest;
- Barbell Bench Press – With this old-school compound movement, Coty is able to generate the most power. Meaning, it allows him to lift the most weight. It’s also easier on his joints and shoulder rotator cuffs, which means he can fully utilize his chest and make it grow fast.
- Low-to-medium Incline Dumbbell Press – While Coty likes to add in regular incline barbell bench press to his chest routine. Doing it on the adjustable bench with dumbbells gives him better results for his upper chest. By adjusting the angle of the bench to his liking, and by having a broader range of motion, Coty is able to fully utilize his chest fibers.
- Machine Decline and Incline Press – Coty likes to use machines which allow him to move each of his arms independently. This way, he can sit sideways and press one of his arms across his body, which allows him to target his chest fibers from a completely different angle.
- Dips – This exercise helps Coty target his outer and lower chest area. If he feels up for a challenge, Coty will throw in some weighted belts to make dips more difficult.
- Cable Flyes – Coty likes to do cable flys in different variations. Ranging from cable flyes on an incline bench to standing decline cable flys. This exercise allows Coty to hit chest from multiple angles, and he usually finishes his chest workouts with it.
“I am always trying to refine my muscle definition. Weight training is just one aspect. Eating healthy is another. Choosing the right dietary plan is paramount! I love fooling around with different types of healthy foods to see how they effect my body type!”
Just like with his training, Coty always reads new articles and books on a healthy lifestyle and diet. This way, he ensures the fastest and most efficient progress possible.
Some of Coty’s staple foods include:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brown Rice
- Organic Grass-Fed Beef
Achieving Muscle Definition
When Coty wants to cut his body fat down, he’ll use a number of different techniques. One of those techniques is greatly reducing his carbohydrate intake.
He does this by slowly reducing his carbs at first; cutting them from lunch and dinner. As the competition day gets closer, he’ll reduce his carbs to only have them in the morning and after his workout.
Idols and Influences
Growing up, Coty was heavily influenced by the death of his close relatives. Those events forced Coty to re-think how he wanted to live his life.
While it was tragical that Coty started his fitness journey for this reason, it also benefited him in a way; allowing him to learn from others’ mistakes and live the healthiest lifestyle possible.
“People be in their feelings too much, letting other people’s actions cause them to act out in a negative way or let others wrongdoings against them change their character.
Yo, it’s life you can’t control what others do and yeah some moments in your life will suck but it’s just that, it’s just a moment in your life and all you have to do is outlast it and be resilient.”
What we can learn from Coty Hart
The main lesson Coty Hart wants everybody to know is the value of health. Some people that were close to Coty died because they didn’t make the best choices, and this motivated Coty to start exercising and to learn about a healthy diet.
Nowadays, Coty often talks about the importance of staying active and eating nourishing foods; telling people who follow him on the internet to never take their health for granted.
Ultimately, health is the only thing you have in this life, that you can’t live without. There is a reason why people say that if you have health, you have everything. So make sure to take care of your body, as well as the mind – as that will allow both you, and people around you a healthier, and happier life.
Leave a comment